nouveau/ NV11: 3.12 freezes if X.org is started headless

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:49:45 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.L-H at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tuesday 26 November 2013, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.L-H at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > v3.11 is fine, with and without monitor attached.
>> > v3.12 is fine as long as X.org isn't started (but may fail to reboot
>> >       cleanly). If a monitor is connected I don't observe any problems,
>> >       it freezes without a monitor connected.
>> > v3.13-rc1-95-gb975dc3 appears not to freeze without a monitor anymore
>> >       (I didn't confirm that it's fine with a monitor attached), but I
>> >       end up with the following Oops (this is before X.org is started).

One more idea -- try it with nouveau.runpm=0 -- I've had some odd
results with it on my older cards (but I don't remember hangs, but I
also didn't spend a lot of time on it, just plopped the option in and
moved on). This is a feature that got in in 3.12, and is really the
only major nouveau-affecting change in that kernel for your card
revision.

  -ilia