[TIP] Catalyst / fglrx and DVI to HDMI adapters (audio)

Matt Sealey neko at bakuhatsu.net
Thu Oct 10 16:47:21 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Christian König
<deathsimple at vodafone.de> wrote:
> I already suspected that AMD (ATI at that time) had a very good reason to
> use this E2PROM to avoid problem with classic DVI monitors (instead of the
> wide spread explanation to gain world domination with it).

Indeed.. it may also not be an EEPROM, but a small microcontroller -
HDMI over a DVI connector is technically way, way out of specification
and it would technically be an egregious hack to do so. There could be
toggles inside the dongle to access the CEC line (which isn't wired on
DVI, but is a required connection for the HDMI spec) and some other
HDMI implementation housekeeping - there's no way to be sure except to
ask AMD.

You'd be the guy to do that ;)

> It's just that an option to override it would have been nice. Well, I'm not
> so depth into the supported fglrx options so it might indeed be possible
> that there is an option to override it.

Possibly, but it would open a raft of random problems with monitors
not working or causing strange problems; the solution would be to
force the thing back to "DVI mode" (i.e. no extra frames) where it'd
work correctly, but that is the whole point of detecting the EEPROM to
see if they want to enable HDMI hacks in the first place.

> Thanks allot for this mail and your in depth analyze of the situation,

No problem ;)

--
Matt <neko at bakuhatsu.net>