Linux Plumbers Android+Graphics microconf summary

John Stultz john.stultz at linaro.org
Thu Oct 10 22:07:58 CEST 2013

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to thank once again, all the folks who were able to attend
and participate at the Android+Graphics discussion at Plumbers. For
those who could not attend, A free-link to my summary on LWN is here:
        http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/569704/a20145dcfbaf70f1/

Hopefully there aren't too many inaccuracies in my summary.

I also wanted to start a thread to try to continue some of the
discussions that went on, and try to make sure we have a sense of the
next steps, now that folks have had some time to think about what all
was said.

Sync:

* Maarten has already started looking at integrating the Android sync
interface on top of his dmabuf-fences.
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg46180.html

* Hopefully he and Erik can continue to collaborate to better understand
each others concerns, and we'll be able to get the Android explicit sync
interface upstreamed and out of staging, and integrated into the various
DRM apis needed.

ADF:

* Rob has reposted his atomic modesetting patches, which helps adress
part of some of the issues Greg tried to resolve with ADF, although
there still is the delta vs full update issue.
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg46413.html

* Also didn't see any details in the atomic modesetting patches about if
or how explicit syncpoints might be used w/ it.

    Rob: is that something you have any plans for at this point?  Or are
you looking to someone to try to integrate sync points with your patches?

    Greg: Don't know if you saw the thread above, but having your
feedback and thoughts on Rob's patches would be valuable here.

* The need for KMS helpers to reudce boilerplate seemed to be widely
agreed upon, but I'm not sure if anyone is actually planning to put any
effort.

Other KMS extentions:

* I'll let Laurent pipe in with any other next steps he has.

ION:
* Hoping to merge ion into staging after Colin's fixes to make it less
arm32 specific land in AOSP

    Colin: Those patches seem stalled in Gerrit. Are you planning a next
iteration of the patchset?

* I'm in talks w/ Sumit about making a first pass on using the ion heaps
implementation to back the dmabuf exporter allocation logic.

Any other thoughts, questions or plans here?

thanks
-john