[RFR 2/2] drm/panel: Add simple panel support

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Thu Oct 17 14:23:32 CEST 2013

Hi Thierry,

On Thursday 17 October 2013 14:06:47 Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 01:15:22PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > I suppose that depends on the way you look at it. In the above proposal
> > > I consider the output (DSI controller) to use the panel as a resource
> > > that provides a certain set of services (query mode timings, provide a
> > > way to enable or disable the panel). Similarly the panel uses the
> > > backlight as a resource that provides a certain set of services (such as
> > > changing the brightness).
> > >
> > > The above also follows the natural order of control. The panel has no
> > > way to control the DSI output. However, it is the output that controls
> > > when a panel is required and turn it on as appropriate.
> >
> > I'm no DSI expert, but I know enough about it to be sure that Tomi will
> > disagree. DSI panels can have complex power sequences that require the
> > input stream to be finely controlled (for instance it might require a
> > clock without video frames for some time, switch a GPIO or regulator,
> > send a command to the panel, and then only get video frames). For that
> > reason all developers I've talked to who have an in-depth knowledge of
> > DSI and DSI panels told me that the panel needs to control the video bus,
> > and request the video source to start/stop the video stream.
>
> Oh, I'm very well aware of the various flavours of funkiness that DSI
> panels come in. But it's wrong to say that the panel needs to control
> the video bus. There's simply no way that a panel can actually do that.
> It is true, however, that in order to make this work in a maintainable
> fashion, the DSI panel *driver* may need to control the DSI bus. That's
> an entirely different story.

Sure, but I don't think that's really related to the DT bindings. We don't
have to model every electrical signal in a detailed way that matches the
direction of the electrons flow :-) What we need to model is a connection
between a display controller and a panel (possibly with a direction). What I'd
like to do is to express that link in a way that can also express more complex
pipeline topologies. I don't want to make it overly complex, I had hoped that
my DT bindings proposal would be a good approach as it's both generic and
still pretty simple.

> Again, that's exactly how I2C works as well. I2C slaves, by definition,
> do not control the I2C bus. However, I2C client drivers can do so by
> using the (master) services provided by the I2C controller.
>
> So for DSI what we could easily do is provide a DSI "adapter" to the
> panel when it is attached to the DSI controller. If the DSI adapter
> implements all of the required services, then the DSI panel driver is
> easily capable of handling all the required special quirks.
>
> I'm Cc'ing Rob and Daniel, both of whom have been working on this
> lately. Actually I'm not sure if Daniel was directly involved, but at
> least somebody from Intel's team was working on it.

> > > That's one possibility. In this particular case it's not even necessary
> > > to use any of DSIs control methods to talk to the panel. The panel only
> > > receives the data stream and "just works".
> > >
> > > Even if the panel were to be controlled via DSI, I think keeping it as
> > > a separate device node is equally valid. It's really boils down to what
> > > I already said above. The output uses the panel as a resource, similar
> > > to how other devices might use a GPIO controller to use a GPIO pin, or
> > > an interrupt controller to request an IRQ.
> >
> > Except that the display controller can also provides resources to the
> > panel. For DSI panels that support DSI commands, the control bus is
> > provided by the display controller. Much like an I2C device must be a
> > child of its I2C controller node, the DSI panel device should then be a
> > child of the display controller node.
>
> I don't think resources is the right term here. The DSI controller
> provides services. That's traditionally been handled in DT by handing
> out phandles to the service providers.
>
> That said I see why it would make sense to make a DSI panel the child of
> the DSI controller node, so we agree at least partially. I don't like it
> all that much because it makes handling of panels inconsistent across
> various types of output and therefore makes it more complicated to
> support it drivers, but I'm sure I can live with it if somebody wants to
> enforce that.

> > > Sure, that all sounds like reasonable additions. All of the suggestions
> > > are even backwards-compatible and hence can be added when needed without
> > > breaking compatibility with existing users of the binding.
> >
> > What's wrong with moving the three hardcoded modes we already have in the
> > driver to DT before pushing this to mainline ?
>
> I think I've answered that in a different subthread.

Then I might not have understood your answer :-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart