[RFR 2/2] drm/panel: Add simple panel support

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Thu Oct 24 12:40:58 CEST 2013

Hi Tomi,

On Thursday 17 October 2013 15:32:29 Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On 17/10/13 15:17, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> Sure. Then the display controller could have more verbose description.
> >> But the panel could still have what I wrote above, except the 'remote'
> >> property would point to a real endpoint node inside the dispc node, not
> >> to the dispc node.
> >>
> >> This would, of course, need some extra code to handle the different
> >> cases, but just from DT point of view, I think all the relevant
> >> information is there.
> >
> > There's many ways to describe the same information in DT. While we could
> > have DT bindings that use different descriptions for different devices
> > and still support all of them in our code, why should we opt for that
> > option that will make the implementation much more complex when we can
> > describe connections in a simple and generic way ?
>
> My suggestion was simple and generic. I'm not proposing per-device
> custom bindings.
>
> My point was, if we can describe the connections as I described above,
> which to me sounds possible, we can simplify the panel DT data for 99.9%
> of the cases.
>
> To me, the first of these looks much nicer:
>
> panel {
> 	remote = <&remote-endpoint>;
> 	common-video-property = <asd>;
> };
>
> panel {
> 	port {
> 		endpoint {
> 			remote = <&remote-endpoint>;
> 			common-video-property = <asd>;
> 		};
> 	};
> };

Please note that the common video properties would be in the panel node, not
in the endpoint node (unless you have specific requirements to do so, which
isn't the common case).

> If that can be supported in the SW by adding complexity to a few functions,
> and it covers practically all the panels, isn't it worth it?
>
> Note that I have not tried this, so I don't know if there are issues.
> It's just a thought. Even if there's need for a endpoint node, perhaps
> the port node can be made optional.

It can be worth it, as long as we make sure that simplified bindings cover the
needs of the generic code.

We could assume that, if the port subnode isn't present, the device will have
a single port, with a single endpoint. However, isn't the number of endpoints
a system property rather than a device property ? If a port of a device is
connected to two remote ports it will require two endpoints. We could select
the simplified or full bindings based on the system topology though.

I've CC'ed Sylwester Nawrocki and Guennadi Liakhovetski, the V4L2 DT bindings
authors, as well as the linux-media list, to get their opinion on this.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart