[git pull] drm tree for 3.12-rc1

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 5 12:18:32 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Dave Airlie <airlied at linux.ie> wrote:

> i915: Haswell PC8+ support and eLLC support, HDMI 4K support, initial per-process VMA pieces,
>       watermark reworks, convert to generic hdmi infoframes, encoder reworking, fastboot support,

Hmm.

The first time I booted this, I just got a black screen on my Haswell
desktop when X11 started up.  I could ctrl-alt-BS and ctrl-alt-del to
reboot the machine, and neither the Xorg.0.log nor the dmesg contained
anything interesting.

I was about to try to bisect it, but decided to see how repeatable it
was, and it didn't happen again. But it also hasn't ever happened
before, so I'm a bit worried.

This is with the DP cable, which has made my other Haswell issues go away.

I'm also a bit bummed that hw acceleration of video doesn't seem to
work on Haswell, meaning that full-screen is now a jerky mess. I fear
that that is user-space libraries/X.org, but I thought I'd mention it
in the hope of getting a "oh, it's working for us, you'll get a fix
for it soon".

Because my shiny new 65W haswell is really nice and does a "make
allmodconfig" in half the time of my old machine, but the GPU side has
been something of a step backwards...

               Linus