[git pull] drm tree for 3.12-rc1

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 5 17:56:44 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Linus Torvalds

> So I've decided I'm going to try to bisect this after all. I've done
> enough pulls for today anyway, I guess. Let's see if I can bisect it
> by just trying to boot many times each try.

Ok, it's not the recent drm pull at all. I can't find a good kernel in
the bunch - they all fail eventually.

It may have been going in for as long as I've had this Haswell
machine, and I was just lucky (and not rebooting a lot until in the
merge window - and 4/5 boots work fine).

It may also be user-space and have come in with the mesa update I got
through yum yesterday. So there might be multiple reasons why I saw it
today after the drm pull for the first time.

The black screen - when it happens - happens after the fedora logo has
flashed, and gdm is supposed to start up. I tried reproducing it by
logging out and back in again (to restart X), but that doesn't do it.
Maybe timing-related with boot or just demand-loading of binaries the
first time, whatever.. Or mayby it's something special that gdm does
at startup?

              Linus