[REGRESSION] v3.12-rc1: i915_driver_load oopses when sysfb enabled

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Sep 7 16:22:59 PDT 2013

Hi David,

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Attached are two patches. The first one should fix this issue, the
>> second one is the rebased ioremap_wc() patch from the other thread.
>>
>> Does this fix the issue (and the speed-problems)?
>
> Sadly, no. I added a few printk's to verify that the function you
> added is called (it is), but still the same oops.

A few more datapoints:

Triggers:
X86_SYSFB=y and FB_SIMPLE=n (so no fbdev until i915 is loaded)
X86_SYSFB=y and FB_SIMPLE=y

Does not trigger:
X86_SYSFB=y, FB_EFI=yes, and without the overflow fix (i.e., so we
fall back to efifb)
X86_SYSFB=n and FB_EFI=y
X86_SYSFB=n and FB_EFI=n (so no fbdev until i915 is loaded)

Does this make any sense?

Cheers,

Tom