BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context on 3.10.10-rt7

Peter Hurley peter at hurleysoftware.com
Wed Sep 18 09:52:07 PDT 2013

On 09/17/2013 04:55 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Peter Hurley <peter at hurleysoftware.com> wrote:
>> On 09/11/2013 03:31 PM, Peter Hurley wrote:
>>>
>>> [+cc dri-devel]

>>> By that, you mean "any other lock" that might be claimed "would also need
>>> to be raw"?  Hopefully not "any other lock" already held?

>>> Yep. That would be bad.
>>>
>>> AFAICT the registers read in i915_get_crtc_scanoutpos() aren't included
>>> in the force-wake set, so raw reads of the registers would
>>> probably be acceptable (thus obviating the need for claiming the
>>> uncore.lock).
>>>
>>> Except that _ALL_ register access is disabled with the uncore.lock
>>> during a gpu reset. Not sure if that's meant to include crtc registers
>>> or not, or what other synchronization/serialization issues are being
>>> handled/hidden by forcing all register accesses to wait during a gpu
>>> reset.
>>>
>>> Hopefully an i915 expert can weigh in here?
>>

>> Daniel,
>>
>> Can you shed some light on whether the i915+ crtc registers (specifically
>> those in i915_get_crtc_scanoutpos() and i915_/gm45_get_vblank_counter())
>> read as part of the vblank counter/timestamp handling need to
>> be prevented during gpu reset?
>
> The depency here in the locking is a recent addition:
>
> commit a7cd1b8fea2f341b626b255d9898a5ca5fabbf0a
> Author: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
> Date:   Fri Jul 19 20:36:51 2013 +0100
>
>      drm/i915: Serialize almost all register access
>
> It's a (slightly) oversized hammer to work around a hardware issue -
> we could break it down to register blocks, which can be accessed
> concurrently, but that tends to be more fragile. But the chip really
> dies if you access (even just reads) the same block concurrently :(

Ouch. But thanks for clarifying that.

Ok, so register access needs to be serialized. And a separate but
related concern is that gen6+ resets also need to hold-off register
access where forcewake is required.

While I was reviewing the registers that require forcewake handling,
I saw this:

from i915_reg.h:
#define _DPLL_A	(dev_priv->info->display_mmio_offset + 0x6014)
#define _DPLL_B	(dev_priv->info->display_mmio_offset + 0x6018)

from i915_drv.c:
static const struct intel_device_info intel_valleyview_m_info = {
	GEN7_FEATURES,
	.is_mobile = 1,
	.num_pipes = 2,
	.is_valleyview = 1,
	.display_mmio_offset = VLV_DISPLAY_BASE,     <<<-------
	.has_llc = 0, /* legal, last one wins */
};

from intel_uncore.c:
#define NEEDS_FORCE_WAKE(dev_priv, reg) \
	((HAS_FORCE_WAKE((dev_priv)->dev)) && \
	 ((reg) < 0x40000) &&            \
	 ((reg) != FORCEWAKE))

Is this is a mistake or do the valleyview PLLs not require the
same forcewake handling as the other intel gpus?

Regards,
Peter Hurley