BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context on 3.10.10-rt7

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Wed Sep 25 07:07:30 PDT 2013

Sorry for the late reply, I was at Linux Plumbers, and had a bunch of
stuff to catch up on when I returned.

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:07:36 +0200
Mario Kleiner <mario.kleiner at tuebingen.mpg.de> wrote:

> Steven, would it then be acceptable to convert that "faster" lock into a
> raw_spinlock_t or is this unacceptable? If so, the preempt_disable()
> could stay, right?

If a spinlock is tight (not held for more than 2us on todays
processors), and has little contention, than I would be fine with
converting it to raw. And if that's the only lock held you could do the
preempt_disable() call.

In fact, if you want, you can leave the preempt_disable() out of
mainline, and send a patch to us that uses "preempt_disable_rt()" and
add a comment to it. In the -rt patch, preempt_disable_rt() is a nop
when PREEMPT_RT is not set, and is preempt_disable() when it is.

-- Steve