Flash 11.2 content displays in shades of green and purple only, and in a horizontally compressed space

Dieter Nützel dieter at nuetzel-hh.de
Mon Sep 30 05:04:40 PDT 2013

Am 30.09.2013 13:36, schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:49:24PM -0400, John Hupp wrote:
>> [I emailed the list with this same material on 9/13, but it has
>> received no response and someone on the Ubuntu kernel team suggested
>> that I change the email Subject from "Re: Moving a bug upstream per
>> downstream request, emailing the maintainers" to the more
>> descriptive one above.]
>>
>> When I emailed the maintainers with the report below on 8/15 (and
>> archived at
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2013-August/043876.html),
>> a response came on 8/16:
>>
>> "It's a flash bug. They ignore the format of the Window that they
>> PutImage to. (Worse, they create an image of the right depth or else X
>> would reject the PutImage with a BadMatch and then render incorrect
>> pixel data into it.)"
>>
>> Despite that, someone on the Ubuntu kernel team asserted "at a
>> minimum a non-flash regression exists going from Quantal to Raring,"
>> and urged me to proceed with upstream kernel bisection.
>>
>> I finally finished that, and arrived at the result:
>
> Still a flash bug. This commit simply enables rgb555 in the kernel,
> which
> sna likes to use on gen2/3. Flash is just too dense and always presumes
> xrgb8888. Adding
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "igd"
>         DefaultDepth 24
> EndSection
>
> to your xorg.conf will work around.
> -Daniel

Hello Daniel, hello John,

I see the same shit thing with my Radeon RV730 AGP (HD4650) 'cause I
have an old SSE1 system, only. The poor people at Adobe do NOT release
any update (even a security one) for SSE1 systems since summer 2012!!!

Even so, I have no xorg.conf only /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ files.
Which one should I create/change for testing, this?

Thanks,
    Dieter

PS I only see this with 'hardware acceleration' (ha,ha, 2012..., only
working right with SSE2, Adobe thinks,...)
PPS The little preview pictures during Flash search are right.