3.15-rc2: i915 regression: only top 20% of screen works in X

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Thu Apr 24 03:42:52 PDT 2014

Hi!

> > > Screenshot or more detailed description of what "only top 20% of
> > > screen works in X" means?
> > > Anything in dmesg?
> >
> > Actually yes, dmesg suggests it is quite
> > sick. drivers/gpu/drm/drm_mm.c:767 warning triggered
> > repeatedly. Also.. initial framebuffer does not work ; I don't seem to
> > see anything before X start up. (This is Debian 6.0.9)
>
> That says that i915.ko failed to initialise the GPU (or rather the GPU
> wasn't responding) and bailed during module load. The key line here is

> [drm:init_ring_common] *ERROR* render ring initialization failed ctl
> 0001f001 head 00002034 tail 00000000 start 0012f000

Actually, I'm not using modules -- everything is build-in. Can you try
that config? Perhaps you can then reproduce the failure.

> Jiri has been seeing a similar issue creep in during resume, but it is
> not reliable enough to bisect. Is your boot failure reliable enough to
> bisect? Also drm-intel-nightly should mitigate this failure and allow
> i915.ko to continue to load and run X, which would be worth testing to
> make sure that works as intended.

So far it failed 100% of time, but this is my main machine, so
bringing it down for extended periods is no-no.

Greetings to Prague :-). Jiri, do you have  i915 a module or build-in?

Best regards,
									Pavel