[RFC 0/2] drm/bridge: panel and chaining

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:57:41 PDT 2014

So I thought it would be easier to explain what I had in mind regarding
Ajay's patchset (to add panel support) in patch form.  Originally Thierry
had some concerns with adding panel support in bridges ad-hoc.  So this
idea adds the support of chaining multiple bridges, one of which may be
a panal adapter (maybe I should have called it drm_panel_adapter_bridge).
There are a few rough edges and TODOs, it isn't trying to be complete
yet.

So the one question is about that hunk I had to move in ptn3460 from
pre_enable() to enable().  If that really needs to come before the
encoder and after the panel, then we should go for a slightly different
approach instead: add a 'struct drm_bridge *next' ptr in 'struct
drm_bridge'.  Then each bridge implementation is responsible to call
the next in the chain (if not null) at the appropriate points.  That
gives a bit more flexibility to bridges to have something both pre and
post the downstream bridge/panel in each of the pre/enable/disable/post
steps.

Rob Clark (2):
  drm/bridge: add composite and panel bridges
  drm/bridge/ptn3460: add panel support

 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/Makefile          |   2 +
 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/drm_bridge_util.c | 251 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/drm_bridge_util.h |  29 ++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/ptn3460.c         |  39 ++++-
 include/drm/bridge/ptn3460.h             |   6 +-
 create mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/drm_bridge_util.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/drm_bridge_util.h

--
1.9.0