How to design a DRM KMS driver exposing 2D compositing?

Matt Roper matthew.d.roper at intel.com
Mon Aug 11 07:37:18 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:38:55PM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is some hardware than can do 2D compositing with an arbitrary
> number of planes. I'm not sure what the absolute maximum number of
> planes is, but for the discussion, let's say it is 100.
>
> There are many complicated, dynamic constraints on how many, what size,
> etc. planes can be used at once. A driver would be able to check those
> before kicking the 2D compositing engine.
>
> The 2D compositing engine in the best case (only few planes used) is
> able to composite on the fly in scanout, just like the usual overlay
> hardware blocks in CRTCs. When the composition complexity goes up, the
> driver can fall back to compositing into a buffer rather than on the
> fly in scanout. This fallback needs to be completely transparent to the
> user space, implying only additional latency if anything.

Is your requirement that this needs to be transparent to all userspace
or just transparent to your display server (e.g., Weston)?  I'm
wondering whether it might be easier to write a libdrm interposer that
intercepts any libdrm calls dealing with planes and exposes a bunch of
additional "virtual" planes to the display server when queried.  When
you submit an atomic ioctl, your interposer will figure out the best
strategy to make that happen given the real hardware available on your
system and will try to blend some of your excess buffers via whatever
userspace API's are available (Cairo, GLES, OpenVG, etc.).  This would
keep kernel complexity down and allow easier debugging and tuning.

Matt

Matt Roper
Graphics Software Engineer
IoTG Platform Enabling & Development