Fence, timeline and android sync points

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 06:16:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:
> So this is fundamentaly different, fence as they are now allow random driver
> callback and this is bound to get ugly this is bound to lead to one driver
> doing something that seems innocuous but turn out to break heavoc when call
> from some other driver function.

tbh, that seems solvable by some strict rules about what you can do in
the callback.. ie. don't do anything you couldn't do in atomic, and
don't signal another fence.. off the top of my head that seems
sufficient.

If the driver getting the callback needs to do more, then it can
always schedule a worker..

But I could certainly see the case where the driver waiting on fence
sets everything up before installing the cb and then just needs to
write one or a couple regs from the cb.

BR,
-R