Long radeon stalls on recent kernels

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Dec 10 20:24:38 PST 2014

On 11.12.2014 05:28, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

[...]

>>> But I'm still waiting for the day that buggy userspace *can't* cause
>>> kernel graphics stalls.
>>
>> Actually, this looks more like buggy userspace stalling itself. :)
>
> I thought the stall was the kernel evicting things from vram.  Why
> does it need to wait for userspace for that?  Is it that userspace is
> actively using whatever's being evicted?

As I explained above, the stall happens because userspace does CPU
access to a BO which resides in the CPU-inaccessible part of VRAM. The
kernel has to move the BO into the CPU accessible part of VRAM before it
can let userspace proceed.

Current Mesa (10.4 or newer I think) sets a hint for BOs which will
likely be accessed by the CPU, so recent kernels can prioritize putting
those into the CPU accessible part of VRAM in the first place.

Or, if you're using EXA, the problem could be in the xf86-video-ati EXA
code.