Selecting memory manager for embedded DRM device

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 07:49:30 PST 2014

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov
<dbaryshkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking onto writing DRM/KMS drivers for few pieces of
> embedded equipment. I stumbled upon selecting GEM/TTM/whatever
> for them. Could you please guide me?

The common choices are either:

  * TTM + GEM userspace interface (nouveau and radeon)
  * or just GEM (intel, and most of the ARM devices)

TTM seems to be mostly advantageous if you need to manage migration
between VRAM / GART / system RAM.  But it sounds like you are talking
about a UMA system, so maybe TTM doesn't help you as much.

BR,
-R