libdrm: drm_mode.h needs to be updated to match kernel version

rufus hamade rufus at myfanwy.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 08:31:38 PST 2014

Hi All,

We just recently noticed a problem with the version of drm_mode.h found in
the mesa/drm git repository.  In changeset c601444a90, Thomas Hellstrom
updated xf86drmMode.h to add some new mode defines introduced in recent
kernels.  But he didn't update include/drm/drm_mode.h at the same time.
This means that if you use the libdrm versions of the headers, you don't
get the new defines, and Thomas' change essentially has no effect.

Also, does this suggest that the fallback mechanism in xf86drmMode.h is not
really effective?  I can see a case where new libdrm uses an old version of
drm_mode.h, which means a bunch of the new defines (e.g.,
DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_VIRTUAL) won't get defined.  Perhaps a better scheme is
to test each individual define separately, and define it if it is not set?

Or perhaps I am missing something?  I'd appreciate any insights if you have
any.

rufus