Need your advice: Add a new communication inteface between HD-Audio and Gfx drivers for hotplug notification/ELD update

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Tue Feb 18 05:58:22 PST 2014

Sorry to pick up this thread after a long time.

Hi Daniel,

Is there a 1:1 mapping between these connector nodes and ports of Gfx display engine?
Eg. For Haswell Ultrabook, under /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/
There are four connector nodes,
card0-DP-1		-> DDI port B
card0-eDP-1/		-> DDI port A
card0-HDMI-A-1/	-> DDI Port C
card0-HDMI-A-2/	-> Which DDI port ?  Haswell-ULT does not support port D, and I think port E is for VGA.

Hi Takashi,

To make user space figure out which audio output is connected to which screen (connector), maybe we can define a new ALSA control for each HDMI/DP PCM device:
e.g. numid=x,iface=PCM,name='Screen',device=3
Reading the control will return the name of the DRM connector nodes like ' card0-DP-1'. The audio driver can get the connector name from the gfx driver.

For DP1.2 Multi-stream transport, it's not supported by i915 and HD-A driver now. But probably there will be sub-nodes for the DP connector node in the future and an index in their name can be used distinguish monitors connected to the same DP port, like card0-DP-1.1, card0-DP-1.2, card0-DP-1.3 ... These names can be used by the above ALSA PCM 'Screen' control, so we can still know which audio output is to which monitor.

Thanks
Mengdong