Query regarding initial mode setting by X server & /dev/dri/control

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:43:37 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Akash Hajari <akashhajari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to DRM & KMS and I had seen your pdf named "why & how to use kms as
> your user space display api if choice".
> I have to understand initial mode setting  flow of x server. So is it
> located in /xorg-server/hw/xfree86/modes/ or some where else?

currently it is in each different DDX driver (for example,
xf86-video-intel, xf86-video-modesetting, etc)

Perhaps either tests/modetest/modetest.c (in libdrm tree) or kmscube
(https://github.com/robclark/kmscube/blob/master/kmscube.c) might be a
simpler stand-alone example to look at (the former does only modeset,
the later does modeset + gl)

> And, I don't know use control node. What's use of /dev/dri/control node?

I don't think it is really used for much yet.. but mostly people just
use drmOpen() in libdrm and it figures out what device file to open.

BR,
-R