Is a stale image but moving mouse cursor a driver problem?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 20 14:24:14 PST 2014

Dear DRI folks,

using Debian Sid/unstable with Linux 3.12.6, GNOME 3.8 and the Radeon
stack the following problem happened, I do not know what to make of it.

Under unknown circumstances the GNOME Screensaver on tty7 “freezes”. The
big clock in the background can be seen, but nothing can be entered (or
there is no feedback). Only the mouse cursor can be moved.

Switching to tty1 works and then switching back to tty7 the image from
tty1 is still seen (distribution information in the first line and
`hostname login:` in second) and the mouse cursor can still be moved.

There are no messages shown in `.xsession-errors`, `/var/log/syslog` or
`/var/log/Xorg.0.log`.

Asking the GNOME folks about it in #gnome-shell on <irc.gnome.org> they
replied it might be a driver bug. Can you confirm that?

Are there any log files I can look at or other things I can do to find
out what is wrong?

Thanks,

Paul