Need your advice: Add a new communication inteface between HD-Audio and Gfx drivers for hotplug notification/ELD update

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Wed Jan 22 04:48:04 PST 2014

Thanks for your advice, Daniel!

> Yeah, I've discussed this at KS with Takashi and we've agreed that some
> common object to facilitate driver interactions. A few things
> though:
> - This should be common infrastructure useable by all alsa and drm
> drivers, not just i915 and snd-hda. Especially on embedded platforms this
> issue is fairly rampant ...

Agree. Where to put this common object?
Is it okay to put it under /driver/gpu/drm, similar to vga_switchroo?
Shall we divide clients into audio and gfx categories, and define different ops for them? Since different info/request flow in different direction between audio and gfx.

> - While at it it should also encompass power management handling of the
> shared hw imo so that we can get rid of the hsw specific hacks for the
> power well code. Or at least we need to rework the power well code to
> reuse this new infrastructure, I don't really want to maintain a few copies
> of the lazy symbol_get logic this kind of stuff requires.

Sounds good.

> - I think the biggest problem is figuring out who should register these
> device nodes. I think it makes the most sense if we do this in the gfx driver,
> but that requires some trickery on the alsa side (probably with using
> -EPROBE_DEFER or something like that.

Can the new infrastructure allow audio driver to query whether gfx driver is ready?
Maybe audio can wait until gfx is ready. For HD-Audio driver, the most time consuming part is delayed after the probe stage, and actually we can wait in the delayed phase.

> - I agree that passing ELD and all the other information through this new
> structure makes lot more sense than the current mess we have with
> passing the ELD through some hardware buffer.

> - Finally I think we should assign some identifier to this link which will get
> exposed both on the drm side and in alsa, so that userspace can figure
> out which display connects to which output. With that media player could
> do the Right Thing and automatically place the audio stream on the right
> pin in alsa.

Is there something that blocks media player from doing the right thing now?
For HD-Audio, the eld entries under /proc/asound/cardx expose the ELD info and can help user space to check if a monitor is usable on a pin. Current limitation is these eld entries cannot update if the audio controller is in D3, so we need the new infrastructure to notify audio driver to update them. But I'm not sure about embedded audio, maybe Takashi would like to share more info.

> Adding dri-devel since that's where we imo need to have this discussion.
>
> Cheers, Daniel

Thanks
Mengdong