[alsa-devel] Need your advice: Add a new communication inteface between HD-Audio and Gfx drivers for hotplug notification/ELD update

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Thu Jan 23 00:13:07 PST 2014

Date 23.1.2014 08:57, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 23 Jan 2014 06:35:12 +0000,
> Lin, Mengdong wrote:

I agree here. From my view, the cleanest solution is to create an
universal API in the kernel for the shared state / binding information
and inter-communication. I believe, that other drivers may use this API
in the future like mentioned vga_switcheroo.

						Jaroslav

>> And I have a question: how to assure the audio/gfx client find its right peer?
>> On a x86 platform, there can be an integrated GPU and an discrete GPU. So there can be two audio controllers and two GPUs.
>> We need to assure audio controller find the proper GPU, and vice versa. Maybe we need the peer audio/gfx to register with a same identifier (something like vendor ID) for peering.
>
> Yes, it's an open issue.  So far, the binding with vga_switcheroo is
> done by a rough guess with PCI ID.
>

> Takashi

Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer