drm/i915: CONFIG_DRM_I915_UMS

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Mon Jul 28 05:27:31 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 01:44 +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Paul Bolle <pebolle at tiscali.nl> wrote:
> > Your commit 2225a28fd916 ("drm/i915: Ditch UMS config option") is
> > included in today's linux-next (ie, next-20140725). It removes the
> > Kconfig symbol DRM_I915_UMS.
> >
> > It didn't remove the two (negative) checks for CONFIG_DRM_I915_UMS.
> > These checks are superfluous as they now will always evaluate to true.
> > Is the trivial cleanup to remove them already queued somewhere?
>
> No, and intentionally.

So this was not by mistake, which is good to know.

>  Actually removing the code for
> user-mode-setting isn't just removing these two blocks,

Just to be clear: I'm only suggesting to remove the two lines reading
    #ifndef CONFIG_DRM_I915_UMS

and their corresponding #endif lines.

>  but requires
> the gutting of roughly 10k lines splattered all over the driver.
> Essentially all the code that checks for
> !drm_core_check_feature(DRIVER_MODESET) needs to go. That's not quite
> as trivial, and before I do that I want to make really sure that
> really no one misses this option.
>
> So probably after 3.17 is out the door for a bit.

None of what I brought up is urgent. But I do hope you don't mind me
sending a reminder if these few (preprocessor) lines are staying around
longer than expected.

Paul Bolle