[RFC V3 2/3] drm/bridge: add a dummy panel driver to support lvds bridges

Andrzej Hajda a.hajda at samsung.com
Tue Jun 3 05:52:26 PDT 2014

On 06/03/2014 11:58 AM, Ajay kumar wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Thierry Reding
> <thierry.reding at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have tried this. We have to wait till the userspace to switch the
>>> backlight on again :(
>> Erm... why?
> Because, backlight remains in powerdown state till the userspace startup scripts
> turn it back on!

>>> This is a valid point, only at the hardware level.
>>> But if you consider a user experience perspective,
>>> user still will not be able to see the backlight even
>>> though enable_gpio is controlled elsewhere, since
>>> pwm is disabled anyhow.
>> But that's precisely my point. If the enable_gpio is controlled
>> elsewhere there will be no way for the userspace interface to enable the
>> backlight.
> Hmm, this is a valid point. Still, see my explanation below.[1]
>
>>> Now lets talk about backlight_on case. Even though user tries to turn
>>> on the backlight, and the driver turns on backlight supply, pwm and
>>> enable_gpio, the driver cannot always guarantee him that backlight is
>>> "really on" since it also depends on panel power.
>> No. If the backlight is properly hooked up to all resources, then
>> turning it on will *really turn it on*.
> [1] : This is what I am trying to elaborate.
> Backlight really does depend on panel power also, and
> you cannot tie LCD resources to backlight driver.
> Now, consider that panel/LCD is off and user wishes to control backlight,
> it will have no effect.
> So, ideally backlight drivers are not "completely independent" in generating
> backlight in most of the cases.
> LCD driver and backlight driver should both co ordinate at user/kernel level
> to make things work properly.
>
> Lets consider this also as a similar case - "backlight enable being handled in
> panel driver."
> Here also, things will work if LCD and backlight drivers work in tandem,
> at user space.

>>> That is not "some spec". I believe all the AUO panels share the same
>>> sequence!
>> Just because some specs mention the backlight enable pin in some panel
>> power up sequence diagram that doesn't mean we have to implement it as
>> part of the panel driver.
>> Thierry

My two cents. I have took some random panel specs with separate backlight:
- LD070WX3 - implemented in Linux as simple panel [1],
- LP129QE1 - again implemented as simple panel [2].
Both panels requires that backlight should be turned on after 200ms of
valid video data and
turned off 200ms before end of video data.

[1]: http://www.displayalliance.com/storage/1-spec-sheets/LD070WX3-SL01.pdf
[2]:
http://www.revointeractive.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/LG-12.9-LP129QE1-SPA1-LVDS-2560-1600-400-NITS.pdf

If I understand correctly currently there is no communication between
video data provider (encoder) and backlight
device driver, so it is possible to violate panel specifications. I
guess usually it is harmless but I think it would be good
thing to solve it somehow.

IMHO it could be done this way:
1. Panel should be notified about starting of video data from its video
source, for example by some drm_panel callback.
2. Panel should have possibility to activate/deactivate backlight
device, as I understand there is no such mechanism at the moment,
unless we try to play with backlight registration/unregistration.

Any opinions?

Regards
Andrzej