unparseable, undocumented /sys/class/drm/.../pstate

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 23 09:40:43 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:18:51PM -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

>> > sysfs files are "one value per file", that's it.  Do anything other than
>> > that, and it can not be in sysfs, sorry.
>>
>> I think that's a little inconsistent. There are *tons* of files in
>> sysfs with multiple values. For example "local_cpulist" which contains
>> the string "0-3" for me, the per-connector "modes" file which has a
>> list of modes supported, and a "resource" file which has a list of hex
>> values (which probably have something to do with PCI resources?). [I
>> purposely picked values coming from different parts of the kernel not
>> to focus on one subsystem...]
>
> A list of valid "values" that a file can be in is fine if you just then
> write one value back to that file.  That's the one exception, but a
> minor one given the huge number of sysfs files.  Other than that, if you

Which is pretty much what the pstate file is. Would it make things
better if we removed the descriptive info while leaving the pstate
file in place?

> know of exceptions to that rule, please point them out and I will be
> glad to yell at the developers.
>
> PCI device resources are binary sysfs files, which are just pass-through
> files from the firmware/device to userspace, with no parsing done in the
> kernel.  So that's just a single 'value' as well.

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/resource
0x00000000f0000000 0x00000000f03fffff 0x0000000000140204
0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000

Doesn't seem like "binary" in the true sense, but perhaps that's close enough.

  -ilia