Intel G41 doesn't see any screens connected after suspend/resume

Nikolay Martynov mar.kolya at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 21:06:40 PDT 2014

Hi.

  I've got Ubuntu Saucy on a desktop with Intel G41 chipset (Asus
P5G41M LE/CSM). It exibits weird behaviour. Kernel: Linux kolya
3.11.0-18-generic.

  When I boot system up, login into X session and run xrands I get this:
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 531mm x 299mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

  In this state I can switch to a text mode console and it works fine.

  Then I suspend/resume machine and run xrandr again with following result:
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 0mm x 0mm
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  1920x1080 (0x47)  148.5MHz
        h: width  1920 start 2008 end 2052 total 2200 skew    0 clock   67.5KHz
        v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125           clock   60.0Hz

Note, that all screens are in disconnected state. Fortunately I still
see my desktop.

  But unfortunately when I switch to a text console my monitor goes
into power saving mode and doesn't return from it even if I type on
keyboard. Also if I leave my X session (i.e. logout) my monitor goes
into sleep on all virtual terminals and I have to reboot the box.

  I've tried to 'redetect' screens in my X session but it doesn't help
to fix the issue. Disconnecting/reconnecting screen doesn't help as
well. Reboot helps.

  Unfortunately I'm do not know details of Linux graphics system to be
able to properly classify the issue. I would really appreciate some
guidance here.
  1) Is this some sort of a known issue with known solution?
  2) Should I file a bug? If so - where and what additional
information might be useful in that bug.

  I would really appreciate any help and I'll gladly provide any
additional information that might be required (or test things).

Thanks!

--
Martynov Nikolay.
Email: mar.kolya at gmail.com