[RFCv3 07/14] drm: Specify primary plane at CRTC initialization (v2)

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Mar 20 08:38:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 02:43:11PM +0900, Inki Dae wrote:
> Your patch would make kms requests to be broken. Exynos drm uses a
> wrapper structure, exynos_plane, including original drm_plane, and
> also a overlay object specific to exynos should be sent to crtc driver
> through exynos_plane.
>
> And re-factoring patch series for exynos drm framework will go to
> -next soon. So how about that other maintainers can adopt your primary
> plane feature individually later? For this, I guess you would need to
> keep backward compatibility. We would really need the testing enough
> for such feature and big changes.

All my review thus far has been aimed at reducing subsystem-wide changes
to drivers. I think we can do the full primary plane conversion without
touching drivers at all. Of course there's a bit of cleanup, but driver
maintainers can merge that at their own pace (and so avoid ugly conflicts
with ongoing work).

I'm still working on how to reduce the impact for the cursor plane
conversion as much as possible, but that's going to be fairly hard
unfortunately.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter