Hiding a monitor from all apps except one

Ilya Faenson ifaenson at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:02:28 PDT 2014

Dear DRM Experts,

My assignment is to make sure the more or less standard HDMI-connected monitor is visible and accessible to a single (our own) OpenGL application only. That monitor is part of the larger device so it does not make sense for anybody else to interfere with its use. The solution should work with any graphics adapter.

I see a few virtual monitor implementations available like VirtualGL, vcrtcm, various VNC flavors but we rather need to hide an existing monitor rather than create a virtual one. I guess we could try creating a virtual monitor, mapping it into the physical one, but the hiding it from almost everybody at the upper edge of the DRM might be tricky. The background: I'm a very experienced driver developer but I'm new to Linux graphics internals.

All ideas would be much appreciated!

Ilya Faenson
Rockville, MD USA