Atomicity in KMS panic notifier

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon May 5 07:52:45 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> The current problem I see is that the rest of panic notifier chain
> won't be called once when we hit the problem in KMS notifier.  So,
> this bug in KMS influences on the rest panic behavior.
>
> Maybe a hackish solution would be to keep KMS notifier at the end of
> notifier chain so that it crashes at last.  I don't like this either,
> but...

You need to do that with both the kms panic notifier in
drm_fb_helper.c and with the fbcon panic notifier. And iirc there's
also a console->unblank call somewhere which _also_ can end up in
->set_par. But I'm not sure anymore when exactly that one is run, I've
tried hard to forget this all ;-)
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter