[RFC V3 2/3] drm/bridge: add a dummy panel driver to support lvds bridges

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:10:04 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 12:37:38AM +0530, Ajay kumar wrote:
> On 5/19/14, Thierry Reding <thierry.reding at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 01:50:36PM +0530, Ajay kumar wrote:

> >> Ok. Please suggest an idea how to do the same!
> >
> > I did post a patch[0] a long time ago that added a way to fix this for
> > pwm-backlight at least.
> I have tried this. We have to wait till the userspace to switch the
> backlight on again :(

Erm... why?

> >> I have already suggested a simple idea which conforms to a valid spec.
> >> Just because enable_gpio is already a part of pwm_bl.c, I somewhat feel
> >> like we are forcing people to handle enable_gpio inside pwm_bl.c.
> >
> > And that's a good thing. That's what people will expect. Backlights are
> > exposed via sysfs, which is currently also the only way to control the
> > backlight from userspace. If the driver for that doesn't have everything
> > required to control the backlight how can userspace control it?
> This is a valid point, only at the hardware level.
> But if you consider a user experience perspective,
> user still will not be able to see the backlight even
> though enable_gpio is controlled elsewhere, since
> pwm is disabled anyhow.

But that's precisely my point. If the enable_gpio is controlled
elsewhere there will be no way for the userspace interface to enable the
backlight.

> Now lets talk about backlight_on case. Even though user tries to turn
> on the backlight, and the driver turns on backlight supply, pwm and
> enable_gpio, the driver cannot always guarantee him that backlight is
> "really on" since it also depends on panel power.

No. If the backlight is properly hooked up to all resources, then
turning it on will *really turn it on*.

> >> Note that, pwm_bl can still work properly without enabling the backlight
> >> GPIO.
> >> And, I did point out to a valid datasheet from AUO, which clearly
> >> indicates why
> >> backlight enable GPIO should be a part of panel driver and not pwm_bl
> >> driver.
> >
> > Just because some spec mentions the backlight enable pin in some panel
> > power up sequence diagram that doesn't mean we have to implement it as
> > part of the panel driver.
> That is not "some spec". I believe all the AUO panels share the same
> sequence!

Just because some specs mention the backlight enable pin in some panel
power up sequence diagram that doesn't mean we have to implement it as
part of the panel driver.

Thierry