[RFC] drm/nouveau: disable caching for VRAM BOs on ARM

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Fri May 23 02:59:46 PDT 2014

Am Freitag, den 23.05.2014, 18:43 +0900 schrieb Alexandre Courbot:
> On 05/23/2014 06:24 PM, Lucas Stach wrote:

> >> Sorry about the confusion. The BAR is *not* mapped to the kernel yet
> >> (it is BAR1, there is no BAR3 on GK20A) and an ioremap_*() is
> >> performed in ttm_bo_ioremap() to make the part of the BAR where the
> >> buffer is mapped visible. It seems that doing an ioremap_wc() on the
> >> BAR area on Tegra is what leads to these errors. ioremap() or
> >> ioremap_nocache() (which are in effect the same on ARM) do not cause
> >> this issue.
> >>
> > It would be cool if you could ask HW, or the blob developers, if this is
> > a general issue. The external abort is clearly the GPUs AXI client
> > responding with an error to the read request, though I'm not clear where
> > a WC read differs from an uncached one.
>
> Will check that.
>

> >> The best way to solve this issue would be to not use the BAR at all
> >> since the memory behind these objects can be directly accessed by the
> >> CPU. As such it would better be mapped using ttm_bo_kmap_ttm()
> >> instead. But right now this is clearly not how nouveau_bo.c is written
> >> and it does not look like this can easily be done. :/
> >
> > Yeah, it sounds like we want this shortcut for stolen VRAM
> > implementations.
>
> Actually, isn't it the case that we do not want to use TTM at all for
> stolen VRAM (UMA) devices?
>
> I am trying to wrap my head around this since a while already, and could
> not think of a way to use the current TTM-based nouveau_bo optimally for
> GK20A. Because we cannot do without the idea of VRAM and GART, we will
> always have to "move" objects from one location to another, or deal with
> constraints that do not make sense for UMA devices (like in the current
> case, accessing VRAM objects through the BAR).
>
> I am currently contemplating the idea of writing an alternative non-TTM
> implementation of nouveau_bo for UMA devices, that would (hopefully) be
> much simpler and would spare us a lot of stunts.
>
> On the other hand, this sounds like a considerable work and I would like
> to make sure that my lack of understanding of TTM is not driving me to
> the wrong solution. Thoughts?

You may want to make yourself aware of all the quirks required for
sharing memory between the GPU and CPU on an ARM host. I think there are
far more involved than what you see now and writing an replacement for
TTM will not be an easy task.

Doing away with the concept of two memory areas will not get you to a
single unified address space. You would have to deal with things like
not being able to change the caching state of pages in the systems
lowmem yourself. You will still have to deal with remapping pages that
aren't currently visible to the CPU (ok this is not an issue on Jetson
right now as it only has 2GB of RAM), because it's in systems highmem,
or even in a different LPAE area.

You really want to be sure you are aware of all the consequences of
this, before considering this task.

Regards,
Lucas

--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |