[lm-sensors] Kaveri [and Radeon] temps

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Wed Nov 5 15:50:22 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 06:34:20PM -0500, James Cloos wrote:

> GR> AMD CPUs are known report wildly off temperatures especially at
> GR> low temperatures.
>
> Thanks.  After some further digging, I wonder whether Aravind's recent
> patch might help?  The apu does have both PCI_DEVICE_ID_AMD_16H_M30H_NB_F3
> and PCI_DEVICE_ID_AMD_16H_M30H_NB_F4 and lspci reports no driver for the
> F4 device.

Aravind would have to comment; my understanding is that the F4 device
reports the power, not the temperature. You could try to apply the patch
and see if it makes a difference. Worst case there will be no change ;-).

> GR>  Does the temperature increase with load ?
>
> It seems to max out w/in a kelvin or two of the room's ambient temp.

Even under load ? Sounds weird. Question of course is if the chip really
reports a useful temperature in the first place; this is something I can
not answer, since I have neither a datasheet nor a system with that CPU.

Guenter