-next plans/status

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:02:45 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 08:29:24AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> So since -rc5/6 cutoff last merge windows was so successful from my
> POV, I think I'll keep trucking with the idea.
>
> Things I have on my radar for this window, outside normal driver pull requests:
>
> a) rockchip drm - this needs IOMMU driver merged first so I can even
> compile it, on hold but shouldn't be a problem if the iommu driver
> gets merged somewhere first.
>
> b) atmel hlcdc - where are we on the precursor patches for this?
>
> c) atomic - Daniel seems to have done a good job pulling the helpers
> in line, Rob, Sean, Collabora - please jump on board and get this
> thing over the line.
>
> d) Exynos/bridge/make my chromebook work upstream patches, where are
> we on these, Ajay/Thierry I believe you are in the know.

Daniel briefly looked at this and was somewhat disgusted with how little
safety this framework has built in. The infrastructure was copied from
DRM panel which therefore suffers from the same shortcomings. I've been
working on a small set of patches to implement some generic mechanism to
add reference counting and such for this type of infrastructure.

Until those patches are ready I think we either can't merge the patches
or we take the risk that drivers will actually use the current fragile
infrastructure in a safe way and then supply the safer infrastructure
later on.

Thierry