[RFC 1/2] core: Add generic object registry implementation

Andrzej Hajda a.hajda at samsung.com
Fri Nov 7 01:10:41 PST 2014

On 11/06/2014 10:48 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 05:00:47PM +0100, Andrzej Hajda wrote:

>>> Correct. When a panel driver is unloaded it frees memory associated with
>>> the panel. The goal of this registry is for the panel object to stay
>>> around until all references are gone.

>>> Yes.

>>> So that display drivers don't try to access objects that have been
>>> freed.
>>
>> Why do not just release panel references from drm_dev, I have
>> successfully implemented dsi panels this way, thanks to dsi bus specific
>> attach/detach callbacks and drm hotplug mechansim.
>
> Like you say yourself, that's something that work only for DSI. Any
> other type of panel can't do this.

But it means that if we want to make panels safe we just need add
registration/deregistration notifications to panels, nothing more.

>> My point is we do not need to make the whole tricky double refcounting,
>
> There's no double refcounting. We have no refcounting at all at the
> moment.

For me registry_record.kref and try_module_get sounds like refcounting.

>> with total redesign of panels, revoke, zombies, etc.... It is enough to
>
> It's not a total redesign. It just makes it more mature and implements
> features that I think are useful (and needed) but that were left out for
> the sake of simplicity. Now it turns out that this is actually quite
> fragile and easy to get wrong.

And I try to convince you we can still keep simplicity and make it safe.

>> have just hot plug/unplug callbacks. This is why I have proposed few
>> months ago interface_tracker framework. It can add hot(un)plug
>> capability in a generic way to any framework.
>
> That's something that this object registry could easily implement as
> well. But instead of passing around void * and type IDs as in the
> interface tracker it could deal with real objects for proper type-
> safety.

It is not a problem to add type-safe helpers to interface tracker.

Regards
Andrzej