LibDRM Cloned Monitor Support

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:35:23 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Rian Quinn <rianquinn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I had issues trying to get the first method to work across the board on all of the hardware that we need to support. One example that I saw was to use the second method, and then to use planes when you had to scale. So basically, if you could not find a match, you would select the lowest of the resolutions, and then setup planes for the ones that need to be scaled. From what I can see, this will end up consuming an extra frame buffer, but it takes care of the issue.
>
> Do you see any issues with that approach?

This is basically a recent approach (meaning not necessarily supported
by all drivers, etc).. with the primary-plane feature you could even
configure the primary scanout layer via the plane API (but, keep in
mind, scaling is not something all hw supports).  The new
'atomic-helpers' stuff should help with exposing support for hw that
can do scaling on primary layer.

So in the end, it depends on what hw, and what kernel versions, you
need to support.  You may need to fallback to cropping without scaling
if you need to support everything.  But one of the goals with the
'atomic' work is to make it easier to expose scaling support on hw
that can do it.