[radeonsi, regression] All my Steam games fail to load into the 3D-engine-powered part (SIGPWR and SIGXCPU)

Kai Wasserbäch kai at dev.carbon-project.org
Sat Nov 15 07:33:58 PST 2014

Dear Alex,
I've built your drm-next-3.19-wip branch (commit
be762d181e130d0e6e630f823400e9e1ba3bafd8) and with that kernel and the graphics
stack detailed below, I can't run any of my Steam games anymore. All of them
immediately go into the defunct state, when their 3D engine is powered up (ie. I
get to see the intro/vendor videos but almost nothing after that, including the
main menus). When I attach gdb to a game process, the games stop on a SIGPWR. If
I hit c I usually get a SIGXCPU next, sometimes it's another SIGPWR. But no
matter how often you hit c you always get one of those two signals and the game
is just dead. Normal desktop with 3D acceleration and effects (KDE) is working fine.

This is a regression over my previous kernel
(Git:git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git:v3.18-rc1
+ <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=107451> and
<https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=107544>).

I didn't have time to bisect this yet, but maybe you have an idea what might
cause this right away. I'm also not sure if it's a bug in the DRI portion of the
kernel.

Is there anything besides a bisect you would need to debug this?

Cheers,
Kai