r600_dma_ring_test() failed - synchronization problem with write-combining memory

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Oct 9 10:42:02 PDT 2014

Hi Alexander,

in the ring test we write the value 0xDEADBEEF and 0xCAFEDEAD into
registers, not VRAM.

And the register bar shouldn't be accessed write combined, cause that
could lead to a couple of ordering problems. Why do you think the access
is done write combined?

For VRAM it is true that we have a couple of different caches between
the CPU and the actually memory, which need to be flushed explicitly if
you want to see a value written by the GPU.

Regards,
Christian.