tile property contents

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:25:58 PDT 2014

>> > Why can't users just set that mode?
>>
>> Sure, users can set the mode, but:
>>
>> * Part of what the TILE property conveys is how monitors should be grouped
>>   for purposes of window maximization.  Users don't have a great way to
>>   express that today, that I'm aware of.
>
> My understanding for why we want the TILE property is to avoid to
> duplicate displayId parsing over every bit of userspace (and the fbcon
> stuff in the kernel) interested in it. Imo the proper way for userspace is
> to always just inherit whatever modeset config is already there.

Andy's idea is good, I'd considered it before, the problem being how
to expose it nicely,

not sure if you'd want persistent via /sys or dynamic setting of the
property by user for that session, so we could do it like xrandr
modes.

Daniel you are missing the nice case of using TILE for non-displayid
monitors once the infrastructure is in place.

Having it so you can create user defined tile groups to allow users to
configure arbitrary walls is a useful thing, that you can't do any
other way.

>> * Users might configure the mode they want, but then gnome-settings-daemon
>>   may come along later and decide it knows better than the user how things
>>   should be configured.  One scenario where this comes up is:
>>     (a) user meticulously configures his power wall
>>     (b) user hotplugs another monitor
>>   I've definitely seen cases where window managers will try to be clever
>>   If the TILE property conveyed how some set of monitors was supposed
>>   to be grouped, that would hopefully give window managers additional
>>   information, such that they would know to keep that group intact.
>
> Well, imnsho gnome display control center is a bit too opiniated about
> automatic modeset changes. If their assumption is that they always know
> perfectly what the user wants upon hotplug I really don't want to work
> around this in the kernel. Since for everything else than a laptop +
> beamer gnome panel always pisses me off ;-)
>
> I think gnome should just ask the user what it wants if there's more than
> 2 physical displays (treating a tiled 4k screen as one ofc), since there's
> really no way at all to tell.

Well its not just a GNOME problem either, once things like SDL respect
tIle properrty,
we can create arbitary tile walls that the whole stack will respect,
instead of hacks
like fake xinerama.

Dave.