Standard VGA console with DRI/DRM under X?

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Tue Oct 28 08:56:56 PDT 2014

> Is this possible and if not, why not?
Long story short on modern hardware the VGA console is just an emulation
working on top of the real hardware. When the driver wants to talk to
the real hardware it must simply disable the VGA emulation first.

But to me all points why you don't like the fbcon are just a matter of
configuring it correctly, so you might want to look into that direction
as well.

Regards,
Christian.