Question on UAPI for fences

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:33:47 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:25:12AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> More people.
> >
> > Just to re-iterate, exposing such thing while still using command stream
> > ioctl that use implicit synchronization is a waste and you can only get
> > the lowest common denominator which is implicit synchronization. So i do
> > not see the point of such api if you are not also adding a new cs ioctl
> > with explicit contract that it does not do any kind of synchronization
> > (it could be almost the exact same code modulo the do not wait for
> > previous cmd to complete).
>
> Our thinking was to allow explicit sync from a single process, but
> implicitly sync between processes.

This is a BIG NAK if you are using the same ioctl as it would mean you are
changing userspace API, well at least userspace expectation. Adding a new
cs flag might do the trick but it should not be about inter-process, or any
thing special, it's just implicit sync or no synchronization. Converting
userspace is not that much of a big deal either, it can be broken into
several step. Like mesa use explicit synchronization all time but ddx use
implicit.

Cheers,
Jérôme