ACPI/i915: Cannot configure display brightness on Dell Latitude E6440

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:59:41 PDT 2014

On Wednesday 24 September 2014 10:19:38 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/23/2014 10:44 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 September 2014 22:31:31 you wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I don't understand your problem, the kernel is selecting
> >> the i915 backlight driver, making that the only one
> >> available to userspace, so the one problem you state with
> >> the i915 driver, that it is "raw" is not an issue, as
> >> userspace will pick it when it is the only one.
> >
> > It is not only one.
>
> Are you sure, if you do not specify any commandline
> parameters, then neither dell-laptop nor acpi-video should
> register a backlight interface.
>
> dell-laptop.c has:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_ACPI
>         /* In the event of an ACPI backlight being available,
> don't * register the platform controller.
>          */
>         if (acpi_video_backlight_support())
>                 return 0;
> #endif
>
> And acpi_video_backlight_support() will (normally) return true
> on acpi-backlight capable systems independent of
> use_native_backlight.
>
> And drivers/acpi/video.c has this:
>
>         /* no warning message if acpi_backlight=vendor or a
> quirk is used */ if (!acpi_video_verify_backlight_support())
>                 return;

> bool acpi_video_verify_backlight_support(void)
> {
>         if (acpi_osi_is_win8() &&
> acpi_video_use_native_backlight() &&
> backlight_device_registered(BACKLIGHT_RAW)) return false;
>         return acpi_video_backlight_support();
> }
>
> So unlike the check in dell-laptop this one does depend on the
> use_native_backlight setting.

It depends (see my previous mail). Here is code:

static bool acpi_video_use_native_backlight(void)
{
	if (use_native_backlight_param != -1)
		return use_native_backlight_param;
	else
		return use_native_backlight_dmi;
}

> I've just checked 3.17 on my E6430 and there this works as it
> should, I only get the intel_backlight in
> /sys/class/backlight
>
> > Also dell-laptop (or acpi video) backlight
> > interface is created (depends on use_native_backlight
> > param). And userspace will pick dell-laptop (or acpi video)
> > to use (which cannot change brightness).
> >
> >> Why would you want to use dell-laptop despite the i915
> >> driver working fine ?
> >
> > i915 working only if I compile kernel without acpi video
> > dell- laptop support (distributions compile kernel with
> > these drivers) and i915 is not good for usage. First it
> > provides more then thousand brightness levels and lot of
> > (with low numbers) completely turn display off. And if
> > userspace map these thousand levels into 5-10 levels (as
> > nobody want to press brightness key up/down 1000x) two
> > lowest levels cause display off.
>
> More and more laptops will only have working backlight control
> at all when using i915, so userspace will need to learn to
> better deal with backlight controls with these ranges. And
> low pwm levels turning the backlight of is normal for raw
> interfaces, if userspace does not want this, then they should
> not go so low.

So then kernel should report which low levels turn backlight off
so userspace will know which levels should avoid. But this is not
implemented yet.

> I suggest that you file a bug against your desktop environment
> that it is not using the backlight controls in an optimal
> manner, from the kernel pov everything is working fine.

Once I will know which levels should not DE use I can report bug.

> > With acpi
> > video and dell-laptop driver levels are mapped into small
> > level space in perfect way. So this is reason I want to use
> > dell-laptop for controlling brightness.
>
> If you want to use dell-laptop, specify acpi_backlight=vendor
> on the kernel commandline, that will give you dell_laptop +
> intel_backlight as backlight interfaces, and userspace should
> prefer dell_laptop.

With acpi_backlight=vendor dell-laptop is not working, see my
previous mail. In this case intel i915 drm driver ignore bios
events for changing brightness. And userspace prefer to use
dell_laptop which do nothing!

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com