[PULL] topic/core-stuff

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Wed Sep 24 10:59:42 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Just noticed that you've picked up the header rework stuff already, so
>> I've rebased that out again. Otherwise just two stragglers from the vblank
>> rework and the universal cursor planes locking fix. Plus sprinkling
>> container_of all over fbdev emulation from Fabian.
>
> I thought it was questionable whether these were desired... the
> pattern of casting between structs that contain others as bases is a
> pretty common one, and container_of just makes it harder to read. Did
> the discussion end in a way that concluded the opposite? I might have
> missed it.

I like them since you can employ gcc to check mundane stuff for you.
And container_of is so massively established in the kernel (with
list_head alone) that I don't think any serious kernel hacker has
problem's reading it. Alan Cox complained a bit a bit on imo elitist
grounds so until someone goes on record with an official Nack I think
they're worth it.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter