[RFC] Explicit synchronization for Nouveau

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Sep 29 00:43:02 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 01:00:05PM +0300, Lauri Peltonen wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> I'd like to start a new thread about explicit fence synchronization.  This time
> with a Nouveau twist. :-)
>
> First, let me define what I understand by implicit/explicit sync:
>
> Implicit synchronization
> * Fences are attached to buffers
> * Kernel manages fences automatically based on buffer read/write access
>
> Explicit synchronization
> * Fences are passed around independently
> * Kernel takes and emits fences to/from user space when submitting work
>
> Implicit synchronization is already implemented in open source drivers, and
> works well for most use cases.  I don't seek to change any of that.  My
> proposal aims at allowing some drm drivers to operate in explicit sync mode to
> get maximal performance, while still remaining fully compatible with the
> implicit paradigm.

Yeah, pretty much what we have in mind on the i915 side too. I didn't look
too closely at your patches, so just a few high level comments on your rfc
here.

> [...]
> Automatically synchronizing these working sets in kernel will also prevent
> parallelism between channels that are sharing the working set (in fact sharing
> just one buffer from the working set will cause the jobs of the two channels to
> be serialized).
>
> 2. Evolution of graphics APIs
>
> The graphics API evolution seems to be going to a direction where game engine
> and middleware vendors demand more control over work submission and
> synchronization.  We expect that this trend will continue, and more and more
> synchronization decisions will be pushed to the API level.  OpenGL and EGL
> already provide good explicit command stream level synchronization primitives:
> glFenceSync and EGL_KHR_wait_sync.  Their use is also encouraged - for example
> EGL_KHR_image_base spec clearly states that the application is responsible for
> synchronizing accesses to EGLImages.  If the API that is exposed to developers
> gives the control over synchronization to the developer, then implicit waits
> that are inserted by the kernel are unnecessary and unexpected, and can
> severely hurt performance.  It also makes it easy for the developer to write
> code that happens to work on Linux because of implicit sync, but will fail on
> other platforms.
>
> 3. Suballocation
>
> Using user space suballocation can help reduce the overhead when a large number
> of small textures are used.  Synchronizing suballocated surfaces implicitly in
> kernel doesn't make sense - many channels should be able to access the same
> kernel-level buffer object simultaneously.
>
> 4. Buffer sharing complications
>
> This is not really an argument for explicit sync as such, but I'd like to point
> out that sharing buffers across SoC engines is often much more complex than
> just exporting and importing a dma-buf and waiting for the dma-buf fences.
> Sometimes we need to do color format or tiling layout conversion.  Sometimes,
> at least on Tegra, we need to decompress buffers when we pass them from the GPU
> to an engine that doesn't support framebuffer compression.  These things are
> not uncommon, particularly when we have SoC's that combine licensed IP blocks
> from different vendors.  My point is that user space is already heavily
> involved when sharing buffers between drivers, and giving it some more control
> over synchronization is not adding that much complexity.
>

> Because of the above arguments, I think it makes sense to let some user space
> drm drivers opt out from implicit synchronization, while allowing them to still
> remain fully compatible with the rest of the drm world that uses implicit
> synchronization.  In practice, this would require three things:
>
> (1) Support passing fences (that are not tied to buffer objects) between kernel
>     and user space.
>
> (2) Stop automatically storing fences to the buffers that user space wants to

The problem with this approach is that you then need hw faulting to make
sure the memory is there. Implicit fences aren't just used for syncing,
but also to make sure that the gpu still has access to the buffer as long
as it needs it. So you need at least a non-exclusive fence attached for
each command submission.

Of course on Android you don't have swap (would kill the puny mmc within
seconds) and you don't care for letting userspace pin most of memory for
gfx. So you'll get away with no fences at all. But for upstream I don't
see a good solution unfortunately. Ideas very much welcome.

> (3) Allow user space to attach an explicit fence to dma-buf when exporting to
>     another driver that uses implicit sync.
>
> There are still some open issues beyond these.  For example, can we skip
> acquiring the ww mutex for explicitly synchronized buffers?  I think we could
> eventually, at least on unified memory systems where we don't need to migrate
> between heaps (our downstream Tegra GPU driver does not lock any buffers at
> submit, it just grabs refcounts for hw).  Another quirk is that now Nouveau
> waits on the buffer fences when closing the gem object to ensure that it
> doesn't unmap too early.  We need to rework that for explicit sync, but that
> shouldn't be difficult.

See above, but you can't avoid to attach fences as long as we still use a
buffer-object based gfx memory management model. At least afaics. Which
means you need the ordering guarantees imposed by ww mutexes to ensure
that the oddball implicit ordered client can't deadlock the kernel's
memory management code.

> I have written a prototype that demonstrates (1) by adding explicit sync fd
> support to Nouveau.  It's not a lot of code, because I only use a relatively
> small subset of the android sync driver functionality.  Thanks to Maarten's
> rewrite, all I need to do is to allow creating a sync_fence from a drm fence in
> order to pass it to user space.  I don't need to use sync_pt or sync_timeline,
> or fill in sync_timeline_ops.
>
> I can see why the upstream has been reluctant to de-stage the android sync
> driver in its current form, since (even though it now builds on struct fence)
> it still duplicates some of the drm fence concepts.  I'd like to think that my
> patches only use the parts of the android sync driver that genuinely are
> missing from the drm fence model: allowing user space to operate on fence
> objects that are independent of buffer objects.

Imo de-staging the android syncpt stuff needs to happen first, before
drivers can use it. Since non-staging stuff really shouldn't depend upon
code from staging.

> The last two patches are mocks that show how (2) and (3) might work out.  I
> haven't done any testing with them yet.  Before going any further, I'd like to
> get your feedback.  Can you see the benefits of explicit sync as an alternative
> synchronization model?  Do you think we could use the android sync_fence for
> passing fences between user space?  Or did you have something else in mind for
> explicit sync in the drm world?

I'm all for adding explicit syncing. Our plans are roughly.
- Add both an in and and out fence to execbuf to sync with other rendering
  and give userspace a fence back. Needs to different flags probably.

- Maybe add an ioctl to dma-bufs to get at the current implicit fences
  attached to them (both an exclusive and non-exclusive version). This
  should help with making explicit and implicit sync work together nicely.

- Add fence support to kms. Probably only worth it together with the new
  atomic stuff. Again we need an in fence to wait for (one for each
  buffer) and an out fence. The later can easily be implemented by
  extending struct drm_event, which means not a single driver code line
  needs to be changed for this.

- For de-staging android syncpts we need to de-clutter the internal
  interfaces and also review all the ioctls exposed. Like you say it
  should be just the userspace interface for struct drm_fence. Also, it
  needs testcases and preferrably manpages.

Unfortunately it looks like Intel won't do this all for you due to a bunch
of hilarious internal reasons :( At least not anytime soon.

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation