drm/msm/mdp5: undefined CONFIG_MSM_BUS_SCALING

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:54:29 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Paul Bolle <pebolle at tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 19:07 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>> I really don't understand.  Why is this code in the kernel tree if it
>> can't be built?  How does anyone use this?  By taking it and copying it
>> where?  If it can't be built, and no one can update it, and of course
>> not run it, why is it here?  What good is this code doing sitting here?
>
> The Erlangen bot (courtesy of Valentin, Stefan, and Andreas) has taken
> over what I've been doing for quite some time, but doing it much more
> thoroughly. And my experience tells me that the reports they'll send in
> will trigger more discussions like this one.
>
> A lesson I learned from my daily checks for Kconfig oddities is that
> people go to great lengths defending unbuildable code. (Do a web search
> for ATHEROS_AR231X to find a discussion that dragged on for over three
> years!) Personally I stopped caring after someone insisted on having a
> file in the tree that was in no way connected to the build system: not a
> single line in any of the Makefiles pointed at it. So, as far as I'm
> concerned, if people can't point at a patch pending, somehow, somewhere,
> that would make their code buildable one might as well delete the code.
>
> I really think it's as simple as that.

In the example you reference, sure it is as simple as that.  But here
we are not talking about files that aren't even referenced by build
system.  We are talking about a driver which does build and run on
upstream kernel, and which has a few small #ifdef blocks to simplify
backporting to downstream kernels (which we still do need to use for
some generations and some devices)

Sure, I'd love never to have to deal with a downstream kernel.  But
really.. I didn't create the downstream mess in the arm/android
ecosystem, I'm just trying to cope with it as best as possible.. don't
hate the player, hate the game :-P

BR,
-R