What happened to the patch for module reference counting when using dma-buf API

Sumit Semwal sumit.semwal at linaro.org
Wed Apr 22 06:02:45 PDT 2015

Hi Volker,

On 22 April 2015 at 17:21, Volker Vogelhuber
<v.vogelhuber at digitalendoscopy.de> wrote:
> I just stumbled across the same problem the patch from Tomasz Stanislawski
> (https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/8/163) would solve over two years ago. But it
> seems like it hasn't been merged into mainline. Why not? Is there any other
> possibility to avoid modules being released while other modules still use
> dma buffers of that module?

I think the only reason it didn't get merged was because Tomasz didn't
post out the next version of the patch, with the feedback received for
v1.

I know that Tomasz has moved away from working on this area, so if
you'd like to, please feel free to submit an updated/rebased version
for review.

If you wouldn't like to do that for any reason, please let me know,
and I could cook it up instead.

> regards,
>    Volker

Thanks and regards,
Sumit Semwal
Kernel Subteam Lead - Linaro Mobile Group
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs