about mmap dma-buf and sync

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Fri Aug 21 07:15:53 PDT 2015

On 08/21/2015 03:32 PM, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 07:25:07AM +0200, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:

>>> All arch have a dirty flag, so you could check that, as all we
>>> really care about is CPU write access. So all you need is clearing
>>> the dirty bit after each successfull GPU command stream ioctl
>>> and checking that no dirty bit is set in a region not cover by
>>> a flush(). Note that the clear and check can happen in the same
>>> function as part of buffer validation for the GPU command stream.
>> Actually, I do think we care about reading as well, since reading
>> without flushing anything written by the GPU will
>> yield garbage on a non-coherent architecture. Instead we might check for
>> the PAGE_ACCESSED bit.
> I do not think the read access after GPU matter. If people think it does
> then it is simple, at buffer validation in buffer mapping we invalidate
> CPU page table mapping and the prepare access ioctl populate them after
> checking that GPU is flush.
>
>> So the full version of this would keep track of all synced regions and
>> at buffer validation time, or unmap time error if there
>> is a page completely outside the union of all synced regions in any VMA
>> belonging to the dma-buf address space, then unmark all accessed PTEs
>> and invalidate TLBs accordingly, typically causing a global TLB flush.
>> Yeah, we could probably put together a helper function that does this,
>> but it will be expensive to run and the whole point of this API is to be
>> able to improve performance.
> No need for such complexity, the sync ioctl would go over the page table
> and clear dirty bit for all page in range that is synchronized. So once
> you get to the command ioctl you know that all dirty bit must be clear.
> Note this is only a page table walk in all case. I do not consider this
> to be that expensive.

The expensive part is the TLB flushing after the PTE update, which
typically needs to be performed on all cores. Although without a
benchmark I'm not sure how expensive. It might be that it doesn't
matter. After all, the vmwgfx- and I believe the qxl driver both use a
similar approach for fbdev user-space access, but that has never been
cosidered performance-critical...

/Thomas