about mmap dma-buf and sync

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at intel.com
Mon Aug 24 11:01:22 PDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 02:42 PM, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
> On 08/24/2015 07:12 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> For flushing purposes, isn't it possible to cover all cases by assuming
>>> bytes_per_pixel=1? Not that it matters much.
>> Sure, though in that case best to replace x with line_byte_offset or
>> something, because otherwise I guarantee you everyone will get it
>> wrong, and it'll be a pain to track down. Like how I managed to
>> misread it now. :)
>
> OK, yeah you have a point. IMO let's go for your proposal.
>
> Tiago, is this OK with you?

yup, I think so. So IIUC the main changes needed for the drivers
implement 2D sync lies in the dma_buf_sync_2d structure only. I.e.
there's nothing really to be changed in the common code, right? Then
I'll just need to stick somewhere the logic about making sync mandatory,
which I couldn't conclude much from your discussions with Jerome et al.
I'll need to investigate more here.

Also, I still want to iterate with Google policy team about the actual
need for a syscall. But I believe that eventually could be an secondary
phase of this work (in case we ever agree upon having that).

Tiago