drm/exynos: g2d userptr memory corruption

Tobias Jakobi tjakobi at math.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 27 08:10:12 PDT 2015

Hello,

I did some further investigation into this issue.

I extended my test application to also cover GEM/GEM and
GEM/userptr transfers, and also putting GEM allocation
flags into the mix.

You can find the current version here:
https://github.com/tobiasjakobi/libdrm/blob/exynos/tests/exynos/exynos_fimg2d_verify_copy.c

What is interesting is that all GEM/GEM transfer
variants work, regardless of the allocation flags.

In particular I can allocate a cacheable GEM buffer
and the verification still works. This confuses me
since everything point into the direction that this
is a cache flush / cache coherency issue. So why
doesn't this happen for GEM buffers as well if we
allow caching to happen there?

Next I hacked up a custom ioctl to trigger
flush_cache_all(), outer_flush_all() and
outer_sync(), issuing this ioctl after filling the
buffers and also after the g2d operations. This
somehow helps, in the sense that the test application
runs longer. But it also makes the system prone to
lockups. Looks like calling outer_flush_all() a lot
triggers these. I don't know why this happens but
IIRC one shouldn't call these low-level functions
from driver code anyway.

Next I checked the DMA-API and looked into dma_sync_sg_for_cpu
and dma_sync_sg_for_device. But the driver code already does this:
1) dma_map before starting the engine
2) dma_unmap after the engine finishes

The DMA-API HOWTO explicitly says that the sync functions are
only there if I modify the buffer with the CPU between map
and unmap. Which is not the case here.

In particular I traced what dma_{map,unmap} do depending
on the DMA direction and deep down the callstack some
flush/invalidate stuff is called. And the GEM cases show
that this is somehow working.

Next I looked into Jerome's question about whethere the G2D is
cache coherent with the CPU. I looked into old Android code and
found FIMG2D_AXI_MODE_REG, a register that currently isn't
touched in the DRM code.
It seems to manipulate signals to the AXI Master interface.

The register looks like this:
[0:3] ARCACHE
[4:7] AWCACHE
[8:15] ARUSERS
[16:23] AWUSERS
[24:25] MaxBurstLength

If I understand ARM's AXI specifications correctly then you
can set cache coherent operation by setting AxUSER[0]=1 and
AxCACHE[1]=1.

The initialization values for AxCACHE and AxUSERS are all
zero, so the default seems to be non-coherent operation.
But still after setting the bits in FIMG2D_AXI_MODE_REG I
don't see any change in behaviour -- the issue stays.

Any idea what I'm missing here?

With best wishes,
Tobias