dumb BOs and prime

Rob Herring robh at kernel.org
Sat Dec 5 15:40:43 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Greg Hackmann <ghackmann at google.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2015 11:23 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Benjamin Gaignard
>> <benjamin.gaignard at linaro.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> I got the same problem today with sti drm/kms driver and dumb Bo.
>>> The issue comes become hwcomposer because is the master and authenticated
>>> on
>>> /dev/dri/cardX
>>> Dumb allocation is done by gralloc which does a new open (so it is not
>>> authenticated) on drm node the consequence is that we can't use prime
>>> functions...
>>> If you use render node you won't be able to call dumb functions.
>>>
>>> To get out of this I think I will implement additional helpers in gem_cma
>>> have ioctl like DRM_GEM_CMA_CREATE and DRM_GEM_CMA_MMAP
>>> and call them instead of dumb so be able to use render node.
>>> Of course it is only for drivers which already use gem_cma helpers (like
>>> sti)
>>

>> That's only marginally better than per driver BO calls which is the
>> whole thing I'm trying to avoid. There should be some way to pass the
>> auth token to gralloc?
>>
>> Rob
>

> Frankly, you probably want to approach this by allocating dma-bufs using
> something external to DRM (probably ion) and then have your hwcomposer
> import them into DRM when they're passed to the display.
>
> Backing gralloc allocations with dumb BOs doesn't really fit the way gralloc
> is designed: like dma-buf, it's built around passing buffers between
> different hardware blocks, and some of those buffers may never even touch
> the display hardware.  You'll also run up against other (deliberate)
> limitations of dumb BOs like not being able to allocate YUV buffers.

Yes, I realize dumb BO are not the long term nor production solution.
ATM, I'm just looking for getting things working on new platforms
without the need for lots of userspace changes. Perhaps I could just
use fb emulation, but having DRM code paths tested is valuable IMO.

> Unfortunately this currently means adding some shim driver code to create
> the ion device.  (Device-Tree bindings for ion are on my long, long backlog
> of things to do.) It's not a lot of code, especially if all you need is a
> CMA heap, but it's still non-zero.

Laura is working on that. I'm still a bit skeptical about what should
go in DT though.

> Note that supporting dumb BOs in your KMS driver is still useful, since the
> recovery console in AOSP has KMS support now.  In that case it's a single
> privileged process software-rendering everything, so it bypasses
> gralloc/hwcomposer and calls directly into libdrm.

I've not seen that. Where does that live?

Rob